Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Home Alone

I was just browsing thru Facebook and I saw a cartoon picture of the character Dory from Nemo. Remember her? The one that spoke whale and couldn't remember from one minute to another? Well, that's me. I AM DORY!

Today started just like any other Sunday. Everyone gets up, makes our beds and heads for the shower. No one wanting to be last cause much of the time, there is precious little hot water by that time. And today, it was me. But that's ok. I had plenty of hot water. I was in the bathroom getting ready and Rae walked in and told me that she and her father were going to leave early for church to stop for a bagel. I was NO WHERE NEAR ready so we decided to take two seperate cars, which we sometimes do. She told me to take Adam but I told her to take Adam with her because he, too, might want a bagel. "OK, mom" she said and walked out.

I continued to finish getting ready. Went downstairs to finish off the coffee and got my stuff together and headed for the front door. Mina was waiting there to lock the door behind me. I put on some worship and praise music and off I went. Got to church a tad early to find Raechyl and Eric standing in the foyer with some friends chatting, checking out all the mission information our church had out on display. We started talking and laughing and Eric looks at me and says, "Where's Adam?"...uuuhhh...."Uh, isn't he with you?" I replied. "No, isn't he with you?" he retorts. Now by this time, our friends had a look of horror on their faces realizing a bit before us that we had left Adam home alone. Now, so I don't go getting myself arrested, he wasn't actually ALONE, technically. He was with my 85 year old blind and deaf mother in a wheelchair...may as well be home alone. I looked at Eric and said, "I told Rae to take him with you guys...". He looked at Rae and says, "Rae, I told you to tell mommy to take him". Rae...well she just sat there looking at both of us knowing that somehow she got in the middle. Our friends were like, "You left him home alone!!!???". I am not sure if there was more shock or humor in it all for them...but I will go out on a limb and guess it was shock!

We explained that Mina was home with him, but neither of us had phones with us and by this time, church was just about to start. So we just went upstairs, chuckling the whole way up. We sit on the pew in front and Eric smiles at me as he leans over and says "classic case of miscommunication here, huh!".

So, after service was over, I went home and found Adam dressed for church, safe and sound. So, here I sit, telling the world of another one of my "mother" stories. I can add this to my repretoire of things like Adam missing his first day of school and showing up up an hour late the second day....leaving Rae at her aunts house but remembering the dog...forgetting Rae's lunch multiple times before she finally fessed up that she was starving from no lunches...shall I go on? No, I think that is enough for one day. I am ever so thankful for a Lord that picks up my slack faithfully and who has a great enough sense of humor to entrust me to tend to 2 of his own little ones. I am pretty sure I keep Him laughing as He patiently teaches me things that must come naturally to SOMEONE out there. As for me...what comes naturally is art, horses, writing...not mothering. But they are nearly 13 and 7 and still alive and well...no thanks to me at times!

Until next time...