Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 5, 2011

TILES FOR AMERICA.BLOGSPOT.COM

Today while walking around Greenwich Village in NYC, we came across a memorial to those who lost their lives on 9-11-2001 at 7th Avenue and 11th Street.   A lady was standing near literally piles and piles and piles of tiles, encouraging anyone who walked by to help rehang the tiles.  You see, this memorial had been taken down immediately before Hurricane Irene hit, in an attempt to avoid any potential damage to the tiles, and now they are being rehung in time for the ten year anniversary of the tragedy that hit our nation on that fateful day.  I was both honored and privileged to be a part of rehanging these tiles.  My husband and I hung tiles for nearly an hour.  I also saw a tile made by Lorrie Veasey (who created this memorial - read about her and the memorial at the above bloodspot) that had my dear friend, "William Martin, Jr."'s name on it.  I was very curious when I got home as to how this came to be.  The title of this blog is where you can go and see its story.

In rehanging the tiles, I was blessed to meet some of the Villages residence, who like me, were hanging tiles.  I heard some stories of the memorial fence, how the city wants to build on its spot and how the people are working together with the city to come to some compromise...stories on how St. Vincent's hospital used to be there, and how the doctors and nurses stood outside the hospital on that day, waiting for any survivors to come and receive care; and how no one came...stories of different tiles, even a picture of the fence as it was prior to Irene.  Such togetherness....such pride....such a privilege to be a part of it.

 Inspired, I decided that my two children and I will go make a tile each, in memory of those who lost their lives, and then we will drive to the city to hang them on the fence...our way to put our healing touch on that fence.  Our hearts were broken, like much of this nation, on that day as we lost a very dear friend.  We have mourned, had memorial services, created the WJM Foundation (William J. Martin) which raises money annually to donate to various agencies that help needy families, written letters, cards, scrapbooked and much more...all in an attempt to heal our own broken hearts.  I believe that this, too, will provide some much needed healing for us and at the same time, honor those who have gone before us, many FAR before their time.

Sadly enough, St. Vincent's is no longer a functioning hospital, having shut their doors some years ago.  Also, sadly enough, Lorrie Veasey has been removed from the foundation that now runs this memorial.  I'm not sure really, but I think that sometimes we, sinful humans that we are, lose sight of the important stuff...like what the memorial is really about, and who started it, and who we are trying to honor and remember.  In the end, I guess, the only thing that IS important is that we NEVER forget all those people who died, many never being found....like our friend, Billy.

So, for Billy, and for the countless others that met their tragic end that fateful day, I remember.  I care.  I hung tiles.  I will make a tile to add.  I will NEVER forget, not ever, that this country is ONE in spirit, founded under ONE God and, God willing, will ALWAYS remain, the land of the free...and the home of the brave.

Here's to you, Billy!!!!