Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 22, 2011

Straight to red....

Not much happening these days and boy is that good news! So I decided to write about Adams second day of kindergarten.

Prior to him entering the school, I went to the head mistress and closed her office door. She was concerned as I had never done that before. I told her to sit down and began to explain that my son was coming to kindergarten and that he was NOTHING like his sister, Raechyl. See, Rae is compliant, quiet, eager to please, honest, always thinking of the other person. Adam....not so much. My exact words to Dr. Midkiff were (and I quote), "buckle your seatbelt and put your helmet on!". She laughed that day, but not long after that she wasn't laughing anymore!

So, the second day of school I pick Adam up. He gets in with a mad face and his arms crossed, clearly angry at something. "what happened?" I asked. To which he replied, "I got a red light today". A red light I thought? That's odd. What happened to green and yellow??? And what had he done to get a red light? So I dared to ask, "Adam, did you start with a red light?" in an attempt to figure out what had happened. He replied, "no. I started with a green light. And went straight to red! Can you believe it! No yellow. She went straight to red!". Now he was indignant....as if the teacher was in the wrong. So I asked, "what did you do to get a red light?". And he replied, "all I did was hum....". Ok, I find that hard to believe. There HAD to be more. So I asked what happened BEFORE he hummed. He went on to tell me that he was talking and the teacher asked him to stop talking. So he started singing and she asked him to stop singing at which point he went right to humming. At this clear disregard of her authority and his disobedience she gave him a red light which means silence. I think he got the message.

....or did he? We got home and he walked straight to my mother and said, "Mina, YOU made me get a red light today!". She asked how SHE got HIM a red light (and by now I'm all ears because I want to know the same thing! So he explained, "You told me this morning not to talk, sing or laugh so I wouldn't get in trouble. You NEVER told me not to hum. Humming gets you a red light!"

Yes, that WAS indicative of my future with Adam. Within two more weeks he was in the head mistress' office. That next time.....