Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

EKISS.....

Electro Kinetic Interference Syndrome.  That's what I was told by a friend.  She made it up but it sounded good.  At least it was an attempt to understand what is up with me and electronic devices....like phones, iPods, computers and the like.  Once about 6 years ago, I had my phone set to vibrate when I got emails.  I plugged it in to charge it overnight on the kitchen countertop....about three feet from the end of the counter.  In the middle of the night I heard a "Ka-ching" followed by a splash and it woke me up.  I woke Eric up to tell him something downstairs made a noise.  He said he heard nothing and told me to go back to bed.  The next morning when I went downstairs, my phone was in the dogs water bowl....FOR REAL.  It had skipped its way off the end of the counter right into the dogs water bowl.  What is the chance of that happening!  For anyone else nearly impossible....for me, 100%.  And that is how it has ALWAYS gone for me with electronics.

Hence my blog tonight.  I have an iPhone.  Have had one for several years now and about a year ago upgraded to 4.  Gave Raechyl my 3.  Seems I got the one that had a defect in it.  A few months after getting the new phone, it started doing weird things....like screen turning white rendering it unusable.  And not backing up properly.  Now I know enough to ALWAYS insure (or extend the warranty) on my electronics.  So I went to Apple....seems it was a software "glitch" that they couldn't fix (perplexed even the workers at the Genius Bar) so they gave me a new phone.  But not before blowing out my old phone....contacts, calendars and all.  Yes I know what you are all thinking....my fault for not syncing.  Gotcha.  New phone lasts about 2 months and problems start again.  Only this time it won't hold a charge or will randomly say "charging not supported with this device"....Back to Apple I go for a second new iphone4.  Another "glitch" it seems.  No problem.  That phone lasted all of about one month before the same thing started happening and this time I knew enough to back it up on iTunes (even though I DO use iCloud) and when I did (knowing I was on my way back to apple) I actually killed the Mac.  For real.  The Mac died....my phone was dead and now my Mac was dead too.  And I mean DEAD.  Fully charged and black screen.  Cannot power down.  Cannot power up.  Cannot do a single thing except call Apple Support to make ANOTHER appointment for my iPhone AND my Mac (from my land line mind you).  So the next day I go to Apple.  I had two appointments back to back.  One at 2 pm for my phone and another at 2:15 for my Mac.  So I had one tech for my phone and another tech for my Mac.  The tech for the Mac said she has never seen someone come in and lay down a brand new dead iPhone AND a brand new dead Mac (it is 2 months old)....WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE!

Guess what happened?  I got ANOTHER new iPhone (this was last Friday) and they had to keep the Mac thinking it needed a new hard drive.  Side note....when I picked the computer up on Monday they said they ran diagnostics and the hard drive was fine, it seemed to be a "glitch" with the software.  Are you seeing a pattern here?  I seem to get the ONLY Apple products that have "glitches" (their word, not mine).  I get in my car to charge my NEW phone and got the SAME error message "charging not supported by this device"....with ZERO patience left, I drove home.  I reasoned with myself that these phones sit in boxes for however long and Apple CONSTANTLY does software updates.  I'll just go home and update my phone software....OR NOT!  By Saturday, my phone was completely unusable.  I had to start from scratch again. I have not brought it back to Apple....I'm pretty sure it's a "glitch".  I have REINSTALLED software half a dozen times....restored iCloud back up as many times....and am waiting til after the holidays to go back to the mall to the Apple store for I'm guessing ANOTHER NEW IPHONE.

One last side note (I can't make this stuff up)....Saturday night my kids asked me to turn up the TV (which I NEVER even watch) so I grabbed the remote to turn up the TV and the screen went blank.  YUP.....BLANK.  I tried power....all on.  Tried changing channels....nothing.  Finally Raech said "give that thing to me...you are deadly with devices" and after about 5 minutes she got it working again.  Today is Wednesday (5 days later) and we just got off the phone with Direct TV.  They are sending us a new satellite box.  Seems ours has a "glitch".....

Forgot the other side note....my Kitchen Aid started "spitting" stuff at me the other night.  I actually had to recalibrate the bowl and attachments.  who does that!  I DO.  It LITERALLY was spitting cookie dough out of the bowl all over the kitchen cabinets, my face and counter tops.  My oh My!

Until next time....