Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 8, 2009

I can't get away from birds!


It is like they hunt me down. The barn where we keep the horse has been there for the last 21 years or so (maybe more). Today I went to take inventory of the tack trunk. Rae wanted polo wraps and some other stuff and before we went, I thought I should see what we have since I never need tack...I don't ride much. Buddy is definitely a pet for me. Betadine, wraps, the necessities...more bits than one horse should own...a turnout sheet...a fly sheet...you know - more is better.


I decided to take the saddle pad home with the stall sheet to wash. Along with our grooming tools to take home to clean. Raech has her own saddle (and a nice one I might add). I share Donna's. Now after 4-5 years, I am still in a wicked learning curve with what is what. So I hunted Alex down to find out what the fly sheet and stall sheets were. Then I take what I need and load the car and at the last minute I remember my saddle. I thought, for sure, it needed cleaning and the cover definitely needed cleaning. So, I take the saddle cover off and was absolutley amazed at what I found...a birds nest. Yup, under the saddle cover and it was on the saddle itself. And it was the mother of all nests. It took up the entire seat - and for once I am not exaggerating! I could hardly believe my eyes. I looked inside and there were three little eggs that I have never seen before. Now clearly this nest has been there for the last two years (tells you the last time I rode) because it was solid and covered in feathers. The feathers were unidentifiable to me as well. I took pictures (facebook) and once again, got Alex. I showed her. She told me that in her 21 years there, she has NEVER seen a bird do that.


Of course not, I thought. This stuff you can't make up. So, I guess I won't be riding any time soon. I will keep an eye on them and once mommy is gone with babies also gone, I am chucking the nest and then will clean it all. I cannot even imagine what the saddle looks like under that nest (ugh). Then I went to the horse store and spent a small fortune on clothes that were needed, boots for Rae and a new helmet for her. Alright, I got a thing or two that wasn't really needed like charms for Buddy's halter, paint for his feet, saddle pad, polo wraps, bling for my phone and a few other things I think....


I now have a driveway full of things that need to be cleaned, a stall sheet and saddle pad in the washing machine, a saddle (Rae's) that needs cleaning and conditioning and a horse I never saw today....go figure!


Until next time...