Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 15, 2009

Late, as usual...

Try as I might, I am NEVER on time. And I don't ever mean to be late. I really feel like that is like saying someone else's time isn't as important as yours. How can someone wake up at 4:30 in the morning and be late to school more times than not and school doesn't start till 8:30? When you figure it out, let me know so we can be on time to school.

Yesterday, I picked up 4 kids at school (my two and my friends two) and one stayed at school for a soccer program for an hour. I was going to take the two girls to the barn to ride, come back to school and pick up Ethan and go back to the barn, get the girls and go home with the 5 kids. That was my plan, anyway.

We get to the barn and Morgan (my friend's daughter) forgot her insulin bag at school, now for the record, being a TypeI diabetic and not having an insulin bag is NOT good. I always have glucose in my car just in case her blood sugar gets really low and I gave her them and told her I would be right back with her bag and brother. This was 3:30. I went right back to the school to pick Ethan up at 4 and saw a friend...need I say any more. Ethan continued to play soccer of course and I yakked and yakked and yakked some more. I actually stood in the pouring rain, two 7 year old kids in my car still cause I was "just picking Ethan and getting Morgan's insulin bag" and I guess I lost track of time. The next thing I know Adam gets out of the car, walks across the parking lot and asked me if we could go now. A side note: I had put a movie on when I got out of the car. I called Ethan, got the bag and said goodbye and got in the car (soaking wet I might add) and realized when I got in that the movie was over..."that cannot be good" I thought and looked at the clock. It was 5 pm! Now, this wouldn't be the end of the world normally but Ethan had a baseball game and had to leave at 5:30 (and of course it was NOT raining in Chester where he lives) and still have to pick up the girls at the barn...HOLY COW!!! I have the insulin bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I race to the barn and Morgan is eating candy canes which means she crashed with the sugar which is VERY dangerous and I have the bag. So I scramble to get the girls and quick call Kristen, my girlfriend. I am in a complete and total panic at this point that now, because of my being late, their family has to race around and poor Morgan needs to get this blood thing figured out and Ethan has a game....Kristen answers the phone, "Hello?". "Hi, Kristen...It's me. I am SO sorry that it is almost 5:30 and your kids are not home (now I want you to read this as fast as you can because no matter how fast you read it, I was saying it faster!)...I am at the barn and I am leaving now. Get their dinner ready, get Ethan's clothes, and when I get to your house, I will slow down enough that when I throw your kids out, they won't get hurt too badly". Kristen is so kind and funny. She is like, "No big one - I was hoping the game would be cancelled but it seems to be raining everywhere but here, but take your time...no big one". So, now this is what I pictured in my head (though it didn't really happen and as it turned out, the game had been cancelled by the time I got to her house, but this is what played in my head like a movie)...

I slow the car down, open the door, have the kids jump out. They are rolling, but get up pretty quickly and dust themselves off and run into the house. Kristen is waiting at the front door with food in her hand and she proceeds to shove it into Ethan and Sydney and Morgan's mouth as she throws baseball clothes at Ethan, the whole time yelling..."Come on, Come on...we gotta go...." and so the kids hurry toward the back door and into the garage. Poor Ethan has food coming out of his mouth, Morgan is grabbing what she needs on the way out and Sydney is just trying to keep up. As Ethan races to the car drooling, he has one cleat on and the other in his hand and he is jumping on one foot to the car because it is raining and he doesn't want to get his foot wet. He is hopping, one cleat on and the other in his hand, he is drooling and his baseball shirt is on only one arm and head and the other arm is being used to try to maneuver his cleat on the foot in the air. They hop in the car, baseball equipment falling out of the doors as they quick get in and Kristen goes to start the car and the battery is dead. They come running out after me (because the above happened in less than 1 minute 25 seconds) and they are screaming...I turn around to see what was wrong and find out Kristens car is dead. I cannot jump start it because it is in the garage and I can't get my car in the other side because the other side is storage. Plan B...the kids stumble out of her car, go to get in my car and Kristen gets in the front seat and we realize that I am one car seat short...UGH. At that very moment, her cell phone rings and it is the coach telling her the game was cancelled...

I tell you, there is a party going on in my head. Until next time...