Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 16, 2009

More Mom of the Year

I thought that I might actually take a vote at the end of the year to see if I would deserve "Mom of the Year" award. I am guessing I just might. What cracks me up is that I am so willing to tell anyone these things that might read this blog. Hopefully all know me and know I do love my children and DO care for them...honestly I do. It is just that sometimes I forget a thing here or there....like lunch...

Rae and Adam go to a private school and there is no cafeteria. They can order hot lunch but it is a month in advance so if you don't buy it, you can't decide at the last minute that you want something. Unfortunately, you go hungry. We do buy hot lunches because, even though the kids don't like EVERY lunch, we all know that - given the past - it is the better of all other options...like no lunch at all.

With all that said, Rae used to not like the Wednesday lunch. So, 4 days a week I paid for lunch in advance for both children, but on Wednesdays Rae took a lunch because she didn't like the lunch on Wednesdays...but only Rae. Now, almost all Wednesdays I did remember to send her to school with a lunch, but apparently a few times I forgot...this is how it went.

I picked her up from school one day and we walked in the house and she said, "Can I have Ramen Noodles?". "No, we are having dinner in 2 hours". "Please mommy, I am really hungry"..."Rae, look, you are being disrespectful by talking back. No is no. You may not have Ramen noodles. Have a piece of fruit to hold you over till dinner". "But mommy, I am not trying to be disrespectful, but I am RREEAALLLLYY hungry". By now, I am thinking two things. First, it is totally NOT like her to persist like this. She is totally compliant and we never have problems with her (that would be Adam's job - we are in for big trouble with him - no doubt. But that is another blog). Second, I am thinking she is NEVER this hungry when she gets home from school and she is near in tears, almost begging for food. So I say to her, "Rae, is everything allright? This isn't like you. Are you feeling ok?"....at which point she fesses up..."Mom, I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to hurt your feelings. You forgot my lunch again today. (again??!! That apparently is indicative that I forgot before!!!) This is the third time you forgot to give me a lunch on Wednesdays. The first two times it was ok because I wasn't that hungry when I got home from school because my friends shared their lunches with me. But today, I have had nothing to eat since breakfast and I am beginning to feel sick. I am really starving. I am sorry mommy, can I please have Ramen Noodles?"

UGH...

In a desperate attempt to make it all up to her, I offered whatever she wanted to eat. I told her she should have called me. She told me she didn't want to "bother" the office or me...it was really OK that she didn't have a lunch. I told her it really was NOT OK for her to not have a lunch. I asked her why she didn't call me today when she knew she would have nothing to eat all day. She told me she didn't want to hurt my feelings by letting me know I forgot to feed her.

Welp...that said it all. OK, I have forgotten school, I have forgotten camp, I have forgotten to being the kid to the doctor and show up without them, but in looking back for some things to blog about I remember that I DID forget to feed my kid as well. Now, mind you, this is NOT something I am proud of, but can look back at it and laugh now.

I am truly blessed with a daughter who is gentle, kind and has a gigantic heart for people. She didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings...(which scares me a little cause she HAS let herself be talked into something she shouldn't have done because when she tried to abstain, her friends said they would be mad if she didn't, so she did...she was way younger, but it can be a bad thing as well). But in this case, it showed me and continues to be a reminder of how blessed I am with my family.

Now, Adam on the other hand...I am blessed by him as well in more ways than I can say, but there is NO doubt, I am in for some trouble with that boy...

Until next time...