Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 17, 2009

Smart Alec...


"Honey, don't run over anything or into anything while I am gone". "Very funny" I answered as Eric walked out the door to go to D.C.

Now my history is a bit spotty when it comes to cars...especially the Honda I drive. I am not sure why, but I have hit a multitude of things since the day I bought it. I will list a few for your reading pleasure, then get on with the story.
1) a brick wall the fourth day I owned the car
2) Our white aluminum fence WAY more than once
3) animals galore
4) curbs (personally, I think they put curbs in just to tick people like me off)
5) my garage door - let me clarify that...I drove THROUGH the garage door
6) 3 cars on Route 80 (at the same time)
...you get the picture...

The day before Eric left for Washington, I was leaving to take the kids to camp. I hadn't even left my street when a rabbit ran out in front of me, and without even a moment to have a thought, BAM. Creamed him. I looked in my rear view mirror just in time to see his foot kick a little and his little white cotton tail flapping in the wind as he was plastered to the road. UGH. "What was that, Mommy?" I hear from the back seat..."Nothing, Adam, nothing". "Mommy, tell me. What was it". "Honey, it was a rabbit and I couldn't keep from hitting it, I'm sorry". Adam retorts, "Mom, you killed another rabbit!". "Adam, the last rabbit was not my fault, Lance killed that rabbit. I just drove him to the vet where he had the heart attack. I didn't kill him, he was scared to death" (but that's a whole other story). "Adam, don't worry about it. It is part of life.". Silence...I go to drop Raechyl off at the barn first, then go to basketball camp for Adam. I decided to stay and chat with my girlfriend. They have a turn around in their driveway and her car was in it. I parked really close to her to allow other cars dropping off kids to have room to park. I stayed the day. When it was time to leave, Adam and I get in the car and we pull out to leave and I hear "ssccrraappee" of metal to metal...

"Mom, that can't be good". "No, Adam, it isn't". So I carefully back up...."ssccrraappee" again. "Mom, you did it again". "Adam, I had to back away from the car. What was I supposed to do". He says "Are you going to get out and look at it". "No, Adam, you get out". "I'm not getting out. You did it, YOU get out". "OK, I will get out." I looked and because I was so close to her car, when I went to go around her car, my right back quarter panel hit her back fender....HOLY CRAP! It was a huge dent. I mean huge. Like the corner of the back fender collapsed. Adam gets out. "Oh man, mommy! Look at that thing". "OK, Adam, I see it. Don't make me nervous." "What are you going to do?"..."I'm gonna call Mrs. Pridmore"....who happened to still be in her driveway by her house. I yell "Hey Lynn, Come here". She starts walking toward me and says laughing "What did you hit my car?!"....."uuhh, yes I did". She was only kidding but much to her surprise, I DID hit her car. The long and short of it is a thousand dollars later, three days without my car because I insisted she drive my car while hers was being fixed and a few more dents/scratches on my car later, we are all happy campers.

Oh, except for me that is. Because now I have to listen to my family make jokes AGAIN every chance they get about me hitting things..."Honey, don't run over anything or into anything while I am away"...."Mommy, watch out, you might hit the fence"...."Mommy, did you just run over that cat"...."Mommy, are you sure you should be driving"....and so it goes. This is my life, but it is MY life and I love it. I am so blessed.

Until next time...