Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 6, 2009

Living in a Blonde Moment....UGH


OK. Now I have humiliated myself at my church by forgetting Adam's first day of preschool then showing up for the second day an hour late. I have humiliated myself at my kids school showing up to substitute and forgetting where I need to be and when...also throwing away a students sandwhich by accident and countless others I am sure. I have humiliated myself with my friends by tripping while I was texting and falling flat on my face. I have humiliated myself at home so many times I cannot even begin to list them all, but I truly thought the doctors office would always be my safe haven. For heaven's sake, there is no place left but there. With that said...

Last night I check the calendar to make sure I have to fast for blood work today. Yup. 10 am appointment for simple fasting blood work - no biggie. OK, note on the coffee pot - NO COFFEE FOR ARRIE (my love of a husband makes coffee in the morning and brings me a cup in bed when he wakes up before me). Told my mom to remind me not to eat or drink anything this morning. Now, for any coffee lovers out there, I need not say this, but in the event someone on this earth doesn't drink coffee, I will advise them that a coffee drinker (lover) not allowed to have her coffee in the morning is a recipe for disaster even if all else goes well. OK, no coffee, no food. Now, not sure about you, but I want to eat in the morning...nothing big, but something. Anything. Not this morning...nothing for me. OK, I'll live.

9:30...gotta leave before I am late (I have blogged about that, too). I take a nice drive 35 minutes away to my doctor, making sure to stop at Dunkin Donuts to get the coffee so when I get back in my car after the appointment, it is there waiting for me. Arrive at the doctor. Walk in...(staff:) "Hi Arrie - no Adam?". (me:) "No, I left him at home with Mina". (staff:) "Isn't he coming today"? (me:) "no". (staff:) "He is supposed to get a physical today with fasting blood work". (me, still so sure of myself that I didn't even stop to think!:) "no, he's on Friday. I am today". (staff - now snickering at me:) "No, R. Today is definitely him and YOU are on Friday". (me - now any one of you would probably know to stop there, but not me - nope - I just kept going:) "Are you sure? I am sure he was Friday and I am today". (staff:) "No, we're pretty sure he was today...but we'll check"...at which point I thought, hhhmmm, maybe I should check. So, I take out my phone, check my calendar and sure enough...Adam today - ME FRIDAY! Oh, for the love of Pete! So, with my tail between my legs (and the staff at this point laughing out loud - I am SO glad I know them all personally) I ask meekly, "Well, since I fasted since last night and Adam is home eating breakfast, can you do my blood work today and I'll bring Adam in on Friday?". Which would have been fine IF THE DOCTOR WERE GOING TO BE IN ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are booked until October with physicals, so they made the exception for the sad little blonde girl who should be taken out to pasture and shot and told me to bring him in in two weeks on a day they don't do physicals. UGH.

Now, I have to face the doctor, who came in smiling and said, "So, R...how's everything?". Now, mind you I see this doc and his staff every other week due to health issues, so we are like family, but it was THE ONLY place I haven't humiliated myself at....UNTIL TODAY.

"OK, Dr. Stack...very funny. I know I blew it. My calendar is even correct. The only thing wrong is ME. I feel physically great, strong and with plenty of energy, however, this brain thing...." We all had a good laugh and I did get my blood drawn. I did get my coffee when I got in the car and I did get a reminder as I walked out to bring Adam the next time. Well, I think there is no where left for me to let people think I might actually not be a blonde. No matter what color my roots are, inside me is screaming BLONDE, BLONDE, BLONDE!

Until next time...