Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 12, 2011

Infectious Laughter

Now I was under the impression that the term "infectious laughter" was a good thing...but after dinner tonight with my near 15 year old daughter, I'm not so sure...

We were out having a quiet dinner, just the two of us.  We were talking about ra"m"dom stuff, like who showed up at our house today, my cuts and bruises from gardening, my (I can't believe it, but it is true) poison something (ivy, sumac???) all over my arms...this after my post that I can roll around in it without getting it (which was true up until three days ago) and things like that.  We were talking about my Cambodian friend, Victoria, who came by to see me at the same time as someone who works for my husband, Eric.  Her name is Bethany and she was so darn sweet.  But Raechyl told me that Eric described her as "shy"....hhhhmmm....hard to believe we mused.  Then Rae went on to tell me that my friend, Victoria, was "too much" for her.  Now, I need to explain that Rae is as reserved as a church mouse, so just about anyone or anything with a spark of life in it is "too much" for her.  Rae explained that Vic is "way loud and way outgoing" and she "scares me".  Then she goes on to explain, "well, mom, like you.  You are too much for me sometimes".  "Oh?" I reply.  "well, yes, you are".  OK...now I am currently reading a book entitled 1000 gifts by Anne Voskamp.  A great book on her Christian search for complete joy in Christ and how being thankful for ALL things is the key...so of course, I think "how can I be thankful for THIS moment and still find out WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS CRAZY KID TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!" 

So I decide to inquire again, "Rae, how am I too much for you?"  And of course she goes right into, "well, mom, for one....your laugh is WAY too much for me.  It is LOUD.  When you are teaching in the fourth grade room and I walk by the kindergarted room (at the polar opposite end of the school) I can hear you laugh and really....it's just too much".

OK, so I laugh loud....REALLY loud.  I have been told my laugh is contagious...infectious.  I always thought that was a good thing.  Like when I laugh it makes other people want to laugh.  But after tonights dinner, I think she meant like infectious....like the black plague....or polio....or HIV...contagious like a wicked flu...or whooping cough....or worse yet....TB.  Totally NOT something you want to come into contact with.

So there I have it.  A dinner date...just me and Rae.  Catching up with each other.  Loving each other.  Being transparent with each other.  Telling each other JUST what we think.  So Rae thinks I am "too much" for her at times.  I can't help but wonder how everyone else feels.  Side note...I did mention to Rae that when I used to work I used to get in trouble for my loud laugh (and cough)...and she gave me a news flash..."Mom you STILL get in trouble at work for your laugh"...OUCH...she is right...it is true.  What can I say.  So for all my poor friends who bear with me, and my poor husband who just laughs with me (or in hindsight, perhaps he laughs AT me), I am sorry for my volume.  I guess when something strikes me as funny it is REAL funny, and my laugh testifies to that....

until next time...