Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 27, 2009

My friend...my hero

Her name is Heather...most (if not all) of you know her. She is quite a remarkable woman. She is younger than me, but more wise than most. She married her wonderful husband some years ago and hoped for a family of their own. God had different plans. See, we often have ideas of how our lives will unwind, and sometimes God has the very same plan, the package just looks different.

I am not sure about you, but when God's package looks different, I often miss it and go on looking for MY package...but not Heather. See, she and Eric were not able to have their own children and at a concert, heard about adoption and the rest is history. They have two very beautiful "chosen" children - Juli from Siberia and now, Elias from Ethiopia. You could call them a blended family, but the only thing blended, in my opinion, is the sides of the world that each comes from. See, they were both born of God especially for Heather and Eric. God knew that these two children would need a loving Christian home to grow up in and He also knew that Heather and Eric would have that home and love to give. So, you see, God's plan was exactly the same as Heather's - to have a family of their own - it just came in a different package.

Once they went to that concert, the blaze was set and the forest began to burn. And I DO mean forest. God put this verse on Heather's heart: "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world (NASB)" (james 1:27) She began a ministry in our church at a local nursing home where, once a month, people go and visit with the folks and sing, or do crafts or just let them know they are loved. Then there was adoption - We are SO blessed by Juli and now Elias! What a privelege it has been to pray so hard for someone you never knew...and someday I can tell them I have prayed for them when I didn't even know their names! Our God is SO very big. And there is also World Vision. A worthy cause which supports children (mostly) in third world countries with basic cares and providing the gospel in the most remote parts of our planet.

Heather, Eric and Juli just came home from Africa with Elias. But God put it on their heart to go and see their sponsor child while in Africa...and World Vision arranged it! I just read her post (http://bringinghomeelias.blogspot.com/2009/04/world-vision-visit.html) and I was moved, once again, to tears. See, I have a sponsor child - her name is Haly. But sadly enough, I had to get her picture and bookmark my bible with it so I could remember her name. Oh, sure, I pray for her when I remember. We write that check each month, but I never once prayed over that check. I never once prayed that God would be seen in the way He has been seen by Heather and her family. I never wrote a letter, I don't spend time talking to my children about her even though her picture remains on our fridge. I am ashamed to write all of this, but for me, it is a sort-of confession - a wake up call if you will.

I know the tender heart of my friend - you can literally see it in the pictures and if you ever had the chance to hear Heather talk about adoption or children or widows, you would hear the undefiled love she has - she "oozes" love and Christ. She has been such a witness to so many people, but mostly to me. See, I don't really see her much, though I love her. I still have not seen Elias, though I pray for him. But none of this seems to rattle Heather...she just loves me anyway. And I guess that is where I come full circle...that undefiled love. I just don't know if I have it - not sure I ever will. But Heather does and she isn't afraid to share it. Sadly for Haly - she may never know the prayers and support of a different family, but in some odd way - she is MY sponsor child. Though I have not supported her the way I ought, that will change now and I can assure you of that. And all because of my friend, Heather. So, Heather - this is for you. You are quite a special friend, and for today, you are my hero!

Until next time...