Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

R, S, TEA, U, V...


Now I don't know about you, but I am a coffee girl myself. I have a friend who is a coffee girl, too, but evidently she indulges in a cup of tea here and there. For me, it is a cross over - like going from a Corvette to a Hundai...not something you normally do....coffee OR tea - not both. But Kelly has a liking for both. And as for her husband, Timm, well clearly he is a tea guy. And I hear it must be Chai tea. And for him, the tea thing makes complete sense. He travels internationally - almost exclusively to the Orient - namely Japan. One might think that tea is the thing there. I really don't recall any conversation where coffee and Japan (or China) is used in the same breath. Usually tea is the catch word. So, on with the story...


For Christmas, I gave my friend a day or organizing. Something I fancy myself on. I would like to think it is one of my strong points, though my family and my own home would testify to the contrary. I went one day last week and organized her desk area and cabinets that surround the desk. Today I went back to organize the rest of the kitchen and clean the fridge and pantry. The cabinets were already pretty good, but I must say that Kelly DOES have a hard time parting with certain items...(hey, Kel - that MAY be why we needed to purge some stuff). So, to the pantry. Now, she has the bare bones for a way organized closet. All I had to do was put all the "same" stuff together - like all baking stuff on one shelf, all breakfast stuff in another, etc. So I decided to use the on-the-door shelving for baking stuff and coffee/tea. MISTAKE. Have you ever glanced something over just to find out later you didn't see clearly AT ALL? That was what happened with me....quick scan....should fit. For the record, the shelves on the door (each door) was about 6. I used the top shelf for coffee, tea, etc. OOPS - found more tea. OK, take what I put on the second shelf (baking stuff) move to the third shelf and use the second shelf for more tea. OOPS - found more tea. Move the baking stuff from the third shelf to the fourth shelf so I can put more tea on the third shelf. Now, by this time, one might think that I would be smart enough to do one of two things....either scan again or just move the baking stuff to a different door. But, I did neither. OK, move some stuff here and there and....OOPS - oh look - more tea! Take the baking stuff from the fourth shelf, move to the fifth shelf and put YET MORE tea on the fourth shelf. At this point, you all know how much I like "whatever"anon...I called Kelly. "Hey, Kel...I think you need TA". She knew RIGHT away what I meant...."TEA ANNONYMOUS". Now I understand Timm's love of tea, but this was ridiculous. I suggested that she start giving these beautifully decorated oriental tea containers filled with who knows what kind of tea for gifts. Perhaps a hostess gift, a last minute birthday gift...a 'just need to get rid of this' gift - ANYTHING!


We have a mutual friend, Alicia, who loves tea. I suggested four shelves earlier to give some tea to Alicia. Kelly now thinks she should unload ALL this tea on Alicia. I don't think even Alicia could use all this tea. Reminded me of the Boston Tea Party. Now, completely sane men killed each other over tea and Kelly is hoarding the mother load of tea right here in her pantry. To make a longer story short, I ended up needing to use a shelf in the actual pantry to house the rest of the tea.


All this to say, in the end, she DID make me a cup of tea that I might say was pretty good coming from the coffee girl. I just want to warn all of Kelly's friends....expect some tea for the coming holidays, events, Bible studies and the next party Kelly hosts. Timm, I love ya, but you HAVE to stop bringing tea home from the Orient and tell all your clients and friends that the very LAST think you need more of is...you guessed it...TEA!


Until next time...