Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What is up with that cake?

OK...so I was a bit behind with Adam's birthday stuff - like this cake. But he said he wanted to help me make it after school. Hey, I will be the first to tell you I cannot cook to save my life, but I CAN bake. So no sweat with this cake. I baked it after school and waited for it to cool. Adam came in to decorate - that was his job. I laid the first cake layer on the plate....did I actually say that? Let me rephrase that...I TRIED to lay the first layer on the plate, but it stuck, then fell apart. Adam said no big one - just put the other one on top. This second layer I was WAY more careful with. Now mind you, this has NEVER happened before. I give Adam the frosting and the bin from the pantry filled with decorations for him to go to town. And go to town he did.

He used a little bit of everything. And it kept falling apart....hhhhmmmm....I really don't get it. It got so bad that I even offered to make another cake. He said it was OK. Now, what Adam wanted for dinner was dessert, which meant dessert was dinner. Cake first, homemade pizza next. We sang happy birthday and tried, emphasis on tried, to cut the cake and it just kept falling apart. At this point, I am perplexed. I just kept thinking it has been one of those days. Adam tries to eat it with the fork and decided he needed a spoon - what does that tell you?! Eric began to eat it and said, "hhhmmm...it tastes like it is missing something". What could it be missing? I mean, how hard is it to make a yellow cake for goodness sake! Well, aparently it is pretty hard. I ate a piece (literally had to scoop some onto the fork and bring my mouth to the plate to get any bit in my mouth) and thought, "oooohhh, it DOES taste funny". So I went through my head with what I put in it and that is when it hit me.

I was laughing so hard I nearly peed my pants. I finally realized what I had forgotten. I forgot the eggs - yup - the sticking ingredient! And immediately I thought (many 'ramdom' thoughts) "How ironic - Easter weekend and I forget the eggs"..."HHmmm...maybe I should put more emphasis on Christ and less on cakes"...."this is what I get for flying by the seat of my pants". And on and on it went. Adam ate the cake, as did Eric. As for Mina, well I don't even need to address that one. Me....I didn't eat another bite. Not that I could even if I wanted to. I watched Eric and Adam scooping this cake in itty bitty crumbles into their mouth, leaving more on the table than in their mouths, but like the big men they are....they just kept eating.

CRAP! I forgot the pizza in the oven. See, in the beginning I did tell you I will be the first one to admit I can't cook. So, there was his birthday dinner and dessert. A cake you literally couldn't eat and pizza that was so crunchy it is still sitting on the pizza stone. And so it goes, my life that is. I muddled my through this day and onward to tomorrow.

Did I forget to tell you that the first grade room moms forgot to plan something for Easter (yes, at the CHRISTIAN school) for the kids. I ran into one of them in the hallway on the way to deliver those cupcakes and she told me that she lost her head. I told her she should talk to those room moms, one of which is her. Guess who the other is....YUP....you guessed it - ME! So in a last ditch effort to redeem ourselves, we went to Mrs. P (the teacher) and offered to do something last minute, but they don't have time tomorrow. I told Kristen I would make little loot bags and call it a day. Now, for those who know me - this is my art. Anything crafty. I can make a rotten meal look like a chef's delight....take a bare table and make it look like Martha Stewart's....make a loot bag look like a million bucks....until today. I went to the dollar store, got some candy, playdough and gums - that sort of thing. I went home to make them and I nearly dropped dead of a heart attack. I had NO loot bags. I swear a robber came in last night and took the supply cause I have MILLIONS. But I cannot find a one. So, I get out the brown paper lunch bags out and print a pathetic label and staple it on....I am almost, no not almost - totally, embarrassed to even deliver them. Here, I will give you a glimpse....