Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Gym Is NO Good For You!!!!!

OK, I was SO done with surgeries, particularly after my face and my throat in the last two months, but about a year ago I tore my bicep muscle.  I'm telling you.  Half my injuries happened at the gym.  So I'm thinking that I should stay out of the gym.  Not only have I torn both rotator cuffs, my left ACL and every time I go there, my heart starts to race, I begin to sweat, I can hardly breathe and my body hurts.  The gym is DEFINITELY NO GOOD for your health.  But I digress again.

I have been nursing this thing for the last year.  Did therapy - to no avail.  I did cortisone - to no avail.  So I sucked it up until it got to the point recently that I can't use my right arm much and when I do, it KILLS.  SO I am scheduled for bicep surgery November 14, 2013.  My surgeon is a riot.  This is my second surgery with him.  My friends say I am friends with all my doctors and I thought that was pretty normal, but according to them - not so much.  Anyhow, Dr. Kocaj is a great surgeon and a great guy.  I called him and told him I cannot do the pain anymore so I went to see him for last consultation before scheduling surgery.  I asked what the "typical" recovery time was.  His response to me was (and I quote), "OK, Arrie, we ALL know you suck as a post operative patient.  Just tell me what it is that you want to do and we'll discuss it".  I told him there was nothing specific I was looking to do, I was just wondering.  He said, "Really??  Last shoulder surgery within a week you were scrubbing barn walls WITH THE SLING and grooming your horses and digging holes to plant bushes and I think the sling lasted 2 weeks, not 3 months and I'm pretty sure that the one year total recovery, for you, ended at three months".  So I told him my horses are being shipped out in two weeks (no grooming), it is fall so no digging and my car will be put away in about 4 weeks so no waxing……I really didn't want to do anything specific I was just wondering how long I was going to be laid up.  So, typical recovery is sling 6 weeks, nothing more than 1 pound lifted for 3 months and full recovery by 6 months…….WTH!  There is NO way I'll last that long and he knows it.  So he told me that he would be "tickled to pieces" if he can get 6 weeks in a sling and no typing or writing out of me…..I told him that was a bit much to ask and assured him that IF I do something I shouldn't he KNOWS that I tell him the truth.

He sighed.

Am I friends with all my doctors?  I guess I am since I haven't seen him in 2 years and we talked about his kids skiing, Okimo, Aspen/Vail…..my kids, my horses and of course, my new vette.  I still think that is pretty normal to be personal with all your docs, but whatever.  Maybe I am just that open book with everyone.  People tell me that one conversation with me and they feel right at home, like they have known me for ever.  I call it "the gift of gab".

So Dr. Kocaj says no blogging.  SMH.  Is he kidding me?  So next Thursday I go under the knife AGAIN and I swear this is my VERY LAST surgery.  PERIOD.  I have had more staples, stitches, anchors, titanium markers and fake pieces like braided ropes than anyone should ever have.  A CT Scan of my body is hysterical.

So, remember, the gym is no good for you and make friends with your doctors, you never know when you will need them to be kind to you….

Until next time…...