Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...

OK, first of all, this is my posting where I did not change font...wondering what it will look like.

Rae has mono, home for what seems like a year. Adam was sick, throwing up, fever and stayed home Monday and Tuesday from school. So, just when I thought it was safe to go outside, Adam gets sick. Now, quite frankly I am sick and tired of my family being sick and tired. What is up with this? I feel like a plague somehow got in here and I cannot get rid of it...the saving grace is that Mina has stayed well. So, in my infinite wisdom, I keep Adam home on Tuesday, just to be sure. I take Rae to the doc with me to have some stuff done and thinking she would be fine, because afterall, we were just going to walk in, get done and walk out. Well, just as my life is, I couldn't figure out where to park. It was in a hospital and this hospital is HUGE and like a maze. I know exactly where I have to go, I just can't figure out where to park. First lot - for JCP&L employees only - next....for employees of Mo-Town Hosp only....next....and as we go from parking lot to parking lot, we end up at the back of the hospital (which I know all to well) and I decide I will park at Goryeb Children's Hospital. OK, how hard can it be to go from back to front of this place, right? Well, let me tell you....stinkin' hard!

We go in, take the "Franklin" elevators...now, you KNOW when the elevators have "location names" you are in for big trouble...especially if you are like me and can get lost in a mall. Take Franklin elevators up to fourth floor cause that is where I need to go. Out...nope...not here. Go to nurses station...How do I get to.....Back to level "C" (yup, there are about 9 levels) and get out in what looks like an abandoned hallway - a bit scary for a mom and her 12 year old daughter. Walk, walk, walk at which point I am not even sure I could find the Franklin elevator anymore. Oh good - here is a man to ask....how do I get to.....and he starts "well, part of the building is new and part is old...you can't get to certain places in the hospital from all the elevators...if you want Carol Simon Center lobby, you take the Jefferson Elevators right up to the lobby..."Is it the fourth floor (cause that is where I have to go)?"..."Well, no....this is the fourth floor"...Now I am thinking fourth floor of what! I have been to the fourth floor TWICE (floor 4 and level c) and STILL cannot get to the damn center....he goes on "well, if you want the lobby, it isn't actually the fourth floor. You can follow me and I will take you to the right elevator and you go up to Lobby and then they will tell you where to go". And we are off again. Down what is a labarynth of hallways to yet another elevator and he tells us where to go...."Thank You" I said but thought I am halfway to hell right now. OK, get out at lobby of Carol Simon Center - WHEW! I look over at Raech and know she is my ONLY chance of ever finding my car again, and she is now looking all pasty white and tanking again...."You OK?" I asked...."not really - I feel crummy"...

Well, of course she does. She has mono and I have dragged her all over kingdom come! Get to the desk....can you tell me how to get to blah blah blah testing...."OK, get on THAT elevator (yes, yet another elevator - this one had no name) and go down to the fourth floor"....WHAT??!!! This is the THIRD fourth floor and I am STILL not on the fourth floor. Longer story short, I find where I need to go, travel back through kingdom come and eventually find our car. By this time, Rae's eyes are rolling back in her head, there is druel dripping out the side of her mouth, my head feels like a jackhammer and I did not get the results I had hoped for. We sit a minute and catch our breath. I just had to chuckle. You have to pay for parking and I NEVER carry money on me...credit cards galore...just no cash and you guessed it....they don't take credit cards. Oh, by the way, at the Simon Center they told me that if I had pulled up in front, they vallet park my car FOR FREE (note to self - don't do this again). Dig through my purse and find the money and head home. I'm telling you, you can't make this stuff up...

At that moment, I realize a few things...1) I am not in control of anything....2) There really is a hell and it is called Morristown Memorial Hospital....3) All that we had hoped to get done in a few hours would not happen cause we have now been gone 4 hours and are still at the hospital....4) Tests stink and finally, my number one answer is...."Just when you think it is safe to go outside....your other kid gets sick, you think the other one is well enough to go fourteen feet down a hallway and it turns out to be 16 miles, your optimistic day just went to hell in a handbag and you come home just to find out that your little guy who was just too sick to go to school has cut his own hair because he was "bored"! That's right....Adam cut his hair while we were gone because "Mommy, I got bored"....There it is in a nutshell. My life...crazy....unbalanced....flying by the seat of our pants...but as someone once said, "But it is MY life" and I wouldn't trade this life for anything!

Until next time....