Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 25, 2009

But MOM!!!!!

As I sit here and try to write, Adam is (yet again) whining...."BUT MOM, it's early...why do I have to go to bed" and on and on...actually, right now he is trying to see what I am writing and when he saw it was about him, he giggled. He is so darn cute! BUT MOM...

I haven't blogged in "forever" as I just told Eric...he advised me that MY forever and HIS forever are totally two different forevers. His is like eons ago and mine was 2 days ago. Go figure...men actually thinking literally! So, I sit and blog...about what I wonder. Should it be my last two days...nah - boring! Should it be my new (and short) haircut - nah (I will leave you in suspense there)...maybe about Alicia...yeah. That seems like a good one. And since I am in no condition to think (actually, I never am) it will be good for me because with this one, I really don't have to think. As a matter of fact, I presume that you will all really understand that my life requires no thinking...or perhaps is a result of no thinking...you make up your mind.

I attend a ladies Bible study and at Chrismas, they do a "Ladies Tea" where anyone is welcome to join (actually Bible study is the same, but I would venture to say that the draw may be bigger for a tea!). So, this was the random time that I actually went. I came late (surprise, surprise) and sat where my usual group of bestest friends were...and I started right in...someone was talking about "blonde" moments and mine went something like this:

"I can beat that! In September, Sharon called me and told me her neighbor's daughter was in Adam's pre-school class. I asked her how she knew and she told me that her neighbor gave her the class list. I couldn't understand how her neighbor got it, I mean, afterall, it is MY church...shouldn't I be the one to have the list? How does her NEIGHBOR get the list before me...so I inquire. Sharon told me that she went to school and got the list, at which point I was bewildered at WHY she went to school...so I inquire some more. Well, Sharon goes on, she actually showed up at the first day of school and they GAVE her the list....UGH! You can imagine my surprise at this revelation! FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No, Sharon told me, she was NOT kidding....the first day of school was yesterday. At which point I wanted to DIE because it was, like I said before, MY church that the school was at, AND my daughter had already gone through the program AND somehow, I MISSED THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL...this was a Tuesday. OK, I regroup...no big one, right? So Adam missed the first day of school - what will he know. He is only 4, he will NEVER remember this! Fast forward to Thursday - 2 days later and the very next day of pre-school. We pull into the parking lot and there are no cars there - funny I thought. Maybe we got "left behind"...now those of you who are Christians will know what this means...those who are not - rent "Left behind". So I think, no, I can't be left behind. That's silly. So we walk in. I think, maybe we are early...thought the program started at 9:30...it is not quite 9:30, only like 9:25 so maybe everyone else is just late? I throw the room door open and barge right in (actually thinking I would joke with the teacher - my friend! - how funny it was that I missed the first day and all) and 'what to my wondering eyes should appear' but the teacher with a group of little children in a circle around her going over the morning date and weather...UGH again. Of course, they all turned around, startled at our entrance, and Jessi says, "Hi R, Hi Adam" at which point I say "What time does class start" and she says "9:00"...well, of course class started half an hour ago...of course I HAVE NOT BEEN LEFT BEHIND...and by now I think...of course Adam WILL remember this!"

We all laughed and I look over to the other end of the table and see a complete stranger sitting there...beautiful and rather reserved. Not saying much but smiling (musing at my density clearly) with a bit of "responsibility" look to her. I IMMEDIATELY went over to her after the tea to explain..."Hi, I am the ditz...I mean, Arrie. I don't want to scare you off or anything...I mean, I am not always that way. I really need to explain to you that we aren't all like me...I mean, well....I really AM responsible (or not!) I don't want you to NOT come back because of me, really, I am pretty harmless." Alicia was her name. She had just moved in from Arizona and really didn't know anyone. So, God, in His infinite mercy (and with that GREAT sense of humor I talked about) placed Alicia at MY table. She was SO gracious - telling me (if my memory serves me correctly - and it might not), "it's OK, we all do things like that. I am not afraid of you, I will be back!"

WHEW! And she DID come back...as a matter of fact, she is STILL around, some 2-3 years later. And she is a very dear friend to me. I still haven't heard HER tell any stories of how dumb she is and as a matter of fact, she is pretty darn smart (well, not smart enough to run away when she had the chance :0) and is an amazing wife and mother to three children. She has taught me a thing or two about organics and health, has put up with my ridiculous sense of humor, my relentless questions at Bible study, and stays around anyway. What can I say? Our God is clearly smarter than we are (I almost said smarter than I was but didn't want to shrink His bigness!) because He put Alicia next to me that fateful day and has blessed me every day since!

So, there. You have it now. My story about Alicia. Stick around, there are more stories...as a matter of fact, I have a story about almost everything...just give me some time to pull it out of the recesses of my dusty old mind...did I say old?

"BUT MOM!" has gone to bed now and I am not far behind him. I praise my God and my Savior for blessing me with some pretty special ladies! He is good!