Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow!

OK. Well I had said I like the snow and that I had plowed, right? Well, Eric said to me this morning that Rob, our neighbor, plowed - so I set him straight :0) I looked outside and sure enough, the driveway was still OK, though you can't see the blacktop. BTW-for anyone who doesn't know, my driveway is 1/2 mile long and winds up (or down - depending on which way you are going) a mountain. In fact, I have actually had delivery men call to tell me they think they got lost to find out they were 200 feet from my house! Adam was whiny this morning and didn't want to take his medicine...delay...got up late...delay...still whining about medicine...delay...Raechyl complaining that we are going to be late for school...delay...me - well I am determined that Adam will take the medicine before we leave because, as I tell my children, if it is a battle of wills - I win. Makes no difference to me if they are late - it isn't my records...I have all day to wait...No, I will NOT put the medicine in something else, it is already in your milk...no, I don't care if you like it or not...you get the picture. So, in the end, I settled for him at least trying to drink it and compromised...he tries it and if he doesn't like it, he will drink it in something else when he gets home - and we know where that went...will drink it when he gets home.

Ready to leave...go to get in the car...doors literally frozen shut. It is a minivan and this isn't the first time this happened. Both back doors - neither would slide to open. OK, front seat and crawl in back...nope. Can't do that because there is so much crap in the front seat they cannot even get to the seat to crawl over. OK, we'll use the trunk. So, off we went to the trunk with backpacks and they heaved them over the seats and crawl over the back seat to get to their seats. OK, now we're off.

Or not! I get about 200 feet up the driveway and I begin to slip - and swear under my own breath how rotten my car is in the snow. Go faster, right? Wrong. My tachometer was reading in the 5000 range and you could smell the rubber burning but I was determined to get up this darn driveway. But by this point, I am no longer grumbling under my own breath, I am flat out complaining - and loud! Then, poor Eric gets in it. "If he would just take my stinkin car when it is icy"..."I bet he will say that I wasn't doing it right - afterall, he has no problem getting up the driveway in my car" at which point I confirmed in my head that HE should have taken the car and left me the 4WD vehicle. More rubber burning, more engine screaming...FINALLY!!!!!! We make it.

...at which point Raechyl points out that we could have taken the 4WD jeep sitting in our driveway - UGH! I hate when I am rebuked! Get to school and the doors are STILL frozen and these poor kids, in front of everyone, had to come climbing out the trunk. I am laughing right now as I realize how funny it must have been for all the moms in cars behind me. WHEW - that's over.

As I am driving home, I am listening to a Charles Stanley sermon (he is a preacher) and it is all about listening to God...and it hits me. Did I pray about this whole thing - NO. Did I, at any point, replace my negative thoughts with His truth - NO. Did I act godly with my children - NO. Did I appreciate His dumping snow from His storehouses in heaven - NO...should I go on. I didn't think so.

So, while I was in love with the snow in my cozy warm house, I quickly abandoned ship when it no longer suited me. Isn't that just like us (humans)! When things are going our way, things are good and we praise God. When things aren't, not only can we get off course, but we forget all about how good things were 10 minutes ago. So, my lesson of the morning was praise God in ALL things. I know that intellectually, but sometimes my heart lags behind - like this morning. Once I got it and got back to basics with God, you know exactly what I am going to say - don't you? Yes, my car doors opened freely...Yes, my driveway is melting and is not slippery at all...Yes, the snow is still beautiful and I am done with my brain cramp. God, in my opinion, has a great sense of humor - He has to in order to continue to put up with me.

I am off to Whole Foods with my dear friend, Sharon. Wish me luck getting back up my driveway!